Kotlin : The emerging Language
Kotlin is Statically typed programming language for modern multiplatform applications that runs on java virtual machine.
It is designed by JetBrains in july 2011 and was declared as open source under Apache licence in February 2012 . On February 15,2016 Version V1.0 of konlin was released. Currently It is used by Expedia, Flipboard, Pinterest, Squa, Amazon Web Services, Coursera, Netflix, Uber, Square, Trello and many more.
As per there official website
These features are in Kotlin which were not supported by java.
- Data Classes
- Companion Objects
- Null safety
- Lambda expression+ inline functions
- Extension function
- Smart casts
(for complete detail comparison read my upcoming article )
Some features which are not in Kotlin
- Checked exception
- Wildcard types
- Static members
- Primitive types
Why Kotlin is first choice
- It costs nothing to adopt as it is open source.
- It is easy to learn.
- Auto conversion of java code to Kotlin.
- It programs can use existing Java frameworks and code libraries.
- It does not enforce particular philosophy of programming
- It comes with Java code interoperability.
- It uses less Classes and of course less lines of Code.
- It comes with nice features like map reduce .
With the help of Kotlin you can develop any kind of application like Mobile, Web or Desktop.
| Its a official language of Android.|
There is no performance impact.
On May 17, 2017, at the Google I/O keynote, the Android team announced that Kotlin will be the Official Language of Android.
So it is obvious that it is going to rule the development market in near future.
To learn more about this programming language keep checking out blog.